In the Middle and Hoping

April 22nd, 2009

going-underWhat a hectic day.

I had gotten to work early in the morning and was on the road heading south. All my accounts are about an hour away and while traffic that early in the morning isn’t too heavy, my day started out with a great disappointment as I learned that Wawa was no longer serving the chocolate-caramel coffee that I enjoy so much. Almost every morning I stop in and grab a cup, adding french vanilla creamer to it just the way I like it. Well, …..that’s gone.

Anyway….. A few hours into my day I receive a call from my wife telling me that she had broken down on her way to work and she didn’t know what was wrong with the Jeep. She arranged for a ride to work and I promised that I’d go look at it right after work. I cancelled my dentist appointment and began to hustle through my stops trying to get back and done early so that I could hopefully get to my daughters softball game too. Something had to give.

A few hours after the call from my wife, I got a call from the head coach informing me that my daughter would be the starting pitcher. I couldn’t believe it. My day was running long and I now had a decision to make. There was no way I could get to the Jeep, fix it and get to the game in time to watch her pitch her first game ever. On-the-other-hand, I couldn’t let my wife stranded miles and miles from home with a broke vehicle. Her co-workers would drive her to the car but no farther.

My stops were taking longer than usual and the day was getting away from me. I finally got back and left work in time to hear that she pitched her first pitch and I had missed it. Thankfully the Head Coach had taken a picture of her and I hoped that she could forgive me for not being there. I raced as fast as I could and travelled the 30 minutes home to pick up my tools, and drove the other 20 minutes to the Jeep. I fixed it in about 5 minutes and we were off! I drove as fast as safety would allow back the other direction towards the field and arrived about 20 minutes later.

Thankfully, they were only in the third inning. My daughter had struck out four batters and had gone three innings. Somehow, I had managed to do it all, but I will never, ever, get a chance to see my daughters first pitch in a game. I suppose thats how our lives go sometimes. We have to make the best decisions we can, hoping that they are the right ones, focusing on others while trying to accomplish all the things we need, and want, to.

I had really hoped to be able to do it all. I had hoped to get done with work early, fix the Jeep before she got off work and arrive at the game before the first pitch was thrown. Instead, I had to stay late at work, I made my wife wait for more than an hour with her broke down car, and didn’t arrive till my daughter was tired and in the third. What made me do it all? Hope. I hoped to get it done. I fell short, but I still tried. How many times have you done the same thing. You feel pulled in so many directions and all you can do it your best. That’s, in part, hope. Hang in there. Set your priorities and do the best you can. It’ll be good enough.

If you like this post please buy me a cup of coffee

One Response

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Falling short! I don’t think so,to much on your plate? Yes…
    yet you gave it your best and set aside yourself to serve.
    Thank you my hero!

Tell Me Your Thoughts Here.

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.